Keeping the house well-maintained, beautiful, and functional over the years is an important part of being a homeowner. While there is a large range of home improvement projects available for enhancing your home’s appeal, one of the most common ones is window installation, and it’s not hard to understand why. Window replacements can improve the value of a home exponentially in critical ways.
For example, windows that are aging or deteriorating lose their ability to keep energy inside. They can also grow mold and mildew, which can be dangerous for the health of the family or get stuck—making it difficult to air out the home and improve the air quality circulating inside. While these are just some of the examples of ways that new windows can make your home better, there are many more—which is why window replacements are such a common and popular home improvement project.
It’s true that replacement windows are a high priority. However, the potential benefits they offer depend on the quality of the installation and the products you choose to use. Without taking the time to identify the appropriate window contractor or the right window materials for your needs could mean a window replacement that’s anything but cost-effective. Here are some of the most common window mistakes homeowners make when having their windows replaced, brought to you by your trusted team of experts at Texas Remodel Team.
Identifying Potential Mistakes
Purchasing replacement windows may seem like a simple enough task, but it can be a lot more complicated than you’d think. Windows are consistently being improved upon each year, with newer and better technology that’s guaranteed to perform better and last longer than ever. Choosing the right materials and the best options for your home construction, your area’s climate, and your budget is an essential part of the process—among other important factors that matter to the health of your investment.
With that idea in mind, consider the following mistakes to avoid when selecting your replacement windows.
- Cheaper Isn’t Better: No one
wants to pay more than they have to for window replacement. However, you
don’t want to buy a window product just because it’s the cheapest option.
Cheaper materials will wind up costing you a fortune in the long run if
they break or shatter easily, offer low energy efficiency, or sub-par
protection from burglars or other threats. Also, cheap windows often come hand-in-hand
with faulty installation services, shallow warranties, and other downsides that can make them a bad deal. Consider quality when making your decision,
and find a window that’s high-quality and affordable.
- Don’t Overpay, Either: Naturally after the previous point, you might think if you spend more on your windows you’re good to go. That’s not actually true. Some windows that come with high prices are more fancy than functional. In addition, they offer nonessential amenities or benefits that aren’t necessary. The key to avoiding spending too much on your windows is to ask for brochures, warranties, and be willing to look around online. Any contractor who can’t or won’t provide this information is one to avoid. Also, avoid insistent salespeople that keep trying to push the most expensive window options on you.
- Improper Installations: Even the best window product will fail miserably if it’s not installed correctly. It’s an easy mistake to assume that the company that sells the windows to you is qualified to install them. When choosing a company to install your windows, evaluate your options carefully to find the best and most qualified ones.
- Lack of Due Diligence: By far, this one is the most costly mistake. When choosing your window contractor, you must do your due diligence. Ask plenty of questions. If the contractor can’t or won’t answer your questions, that’s a red flag.
Finding a Reliable Contractor
As we mentioned in the last section, hiring the best contractor for the job takes some research. Look for companies in your area online, and then check their websites and social media pages for reviews and more information about their experience.
Here’s a list of things to consider and questions to ask any window replacement company before hiring them:
- Is the Company
Insured?: Secure a
copy of their policy that’s current. You can also check the background of a company by contacting your local chamber of commerce and asking for lawsuit reports and other information about the company. This can give you a good idea about the level of work they do and whether they’re a
trustworthy company or not.
- Ask for References: A good company will have a portfolio of past work and dozens of rave reviews from former customers. Check Yelp, Angie’s List, and other review sites online for a non-biased opinions from past clients.
- Consider Response Times: The slower their response, the more likely they are to offer poor service.
- Wait Time: Find out how long until the windows are expected to arrive, and how long installation will take.
- Ask About Financing Options: Find out what they offer as far as financing, and whether you qualify. Read the fine print to determine what you’ll pay after interest rates and other factors.
- Online Matters: Check reviews, complaints, and any other sources you can find that indicate how they conduct business.
- Consider the Paperwork: What’s the final price of the remodel? Will they offer warranties and what do those include?
Replacement Windows with Texas Remodel Team
A house with drafty rooms, high utility bills, and a less than wonderful curb appeal can usually be dramatically improved with new and efficient window products. Our goal at Texas Remodel Team is to improve the homes of our customers with gorgeous, high-quality window installations and other home remodeling services at affordable rates.
After years of doing business in Texas, we’ve built a reputation for excellence in home remodeling services and are proud of our long list of satisfied homeowners in Houston and the surrounding area.
If you’re ready to explore your replacement window options, we’d love to hear from you. Give our team a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional window installation services or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home quote.